Published by Anna Sawa in Teaching Ideas · 21 March 2021
Tags: verbs, grammar, printables, vocabulary, games, activities
This exercise consits of 50 verbs and ss are required to determine whether the verb requires -ED or a special form. English Exercises past simple exercises Regular or Irregular Verb? An irregular verb is a verb that has a past tense or past participle form that does not end in ed. Here is a regular verb: walk (present), walked (past tense), walked (past participle) Here is an irregular verb: break (present), broke (past tense), broken (past participle) Naturally, the past simple form is used to talk about the past, e.g. With Lingolia Plus you can access 12 additional exercises about Irregular Verbs, as well as 823 online exercises to improve your English. Get 3 months membership for just €10.49 (≈ $12.48). Learn more about Lingolia Plus here. Irregular Verbs - Extra Practise. Become a Lingolia Plus member to access these additional exercises. This test is about regular and irregular verbs (past simple). There are 10 questions in this test an each question has only one true answer. You can see your score and the correct answer after you finish the test. Regular and irregular verbs in English - Online Exercises. Regular and irregular verbs – Crosswords. 3625 Regular and irregular verbs in the Simple Past – Crossword 1; 3627 Regular and irregular verbs in the Simple Past – Crossword 2; 3629 Regular and irregular verbs in the Simple Past – Crossword 3; 3631 Regular and irregular verbs in the Simple Past – Crossword 4.
If you are looking for ideas how to teach Simple Past regular and irregular verbs to your primary students you are in the right place. You can find here some ideas and resources that can help your students to memorize verb forms faster and learn in a pleasure way.
Past Simple memory game
Encourage your students to learn Simple Past verb forms playing Memory game in groups. They can learn and have fun at the same time.
Simple Past memory game rules:
1. Click a link below and download memory cards from the Teacher’s Zone website:
- Simple Past regular verbs memory cards
2. Print and cut the Simple Past memory cards out.
3. Divide students into groups of four and distribute one set of memory cards for each group.
Regular And Irregular Verbs Exercises Pdf
5. They randomly flip two of them and say the words aloud.
6. If the uncovered cards match (matching cards are basic verb form and Simple Past verb form), remove and keep the pair of cards. Then get another turn as a reward.
7. If the uncovered cards do not match, the two visible cards are flipped to be facedown.
8. The winner is the player with the most pairs of cards.
Past Simple domino game
Another form of learning through play is Domino game. This activity is a great way to learn by heart easily.
Simple Past domino game rules:
1. Click a link below and download domino cards from the Teacher’s Zone website:
- Simple Past regular verbs domino cards
3. Divide students into groups of four and distribute one set of domino cards for each group.
4. Students turn domino cards face down on the table and shuffle them.
5. Each player draw 3 cards and the other dominoes are used as a draw pile.
6. The first player choose a domino from the draw pile and place it in the middle of the table.
7. Continue to play clockwise. The next player selects the domino from his cards. Matching cards are basic verb form and Simple Past form. If one of the cards matches she/he sets the domino in the middle of the table. If none of dominoes can be played, the player picks a card from the draw pile.
8. The game ends when the domino sets close the circle.
9. The first student who gets rid of his last domino card is the winner.
Creating a mysterious story with given verbs can help your students to use Simple Past forms of the verbs in sentences and memorize them in context. There are two versions of this activity. You can write five to ten past form verbs on the board and ask students to create their own mysterious stories using these words in any order. Another version of this task is to give one verb to write a sentence and after that the next one to create the following part of the story. You can continue the activity with any numbers of verbs.
Regular And Irregular Verbs Exercises
Simple Past verbs printable exercises
For more practise of Simple Past regular and irregular verb forms you can download and print worksheets from the Teacher’s Zone website. You can find here wordsquares and matching exercises as well as filling the gap tasks.
Click the link below to download free printable worksheets:
Regular And Irregular Verbs Exercises Pdf
Enjoy the Simple Past verb forms resources from the Teacher's Zone website:) Leave a comment if you find them useful.
Regular And Irregular Verbs Exercises With Answers
Regular And Irregular Verbs Exercises Agenda Web